Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Are "nerdy" things getting cooler, or am I getting nerdier?

So, way back in 2003 when we started using this IM thing at work, I wasn't really on board. We were doing the same thing with email, weren't we? After the initial resistance, I gave in, although it still seemed like a nerdy thing to do at the time. Now, I can't get through a day, or possibly an hour, at work without using IM and the smilies I used to think were so lame.

Next, it was blogging. First off, I'd hear about it randomly on tv and it seemed dumb. Then my friend Tim started one and I loved it! Then Jodie started one and it makes me smile (or laugh uncontrollably at least once a day. I thought it was fun to read someone else's blog, but no way I would ever to do one. Hmmm... We all know how that turned out...

I'm also never getting a cell phone for my kids.

Anyway...
At TechSmith we have a really neat new project called Jing. It rocks! And I'm not just saying that because I work here! But, if I didn't work here, I might not have tried it because of my attitude described above...

On that note, since you're my friends, you really, really, really should try it. There's a quick, fun video about it that you should watch. It's free to use right now, so why not try it?

The best thing about it for me is to be able to send a link in IM so someone can see what I'm talking about instantly, without having to stop to the conversation to create, send, and wait for them to get an email. Also, if your company blocks media files from email, this is a good way to share without sending through email.

And besides all that, it's just cool. I have to say, this is the most excited that I've been about something like this. So, you agree with me, right? I'm not nerdy, it's just that Jing is that cool.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

You are definitely not nerdy. :) I'm downloading Jing right now. Looks pretty cool. You are lucky to work for a company that makes tangibly cool things.

Jodie said...

Oh yeah... and I ran into your FAVORITE person on Monday (his initials are MM) and they just found out that his oldest daughter has Autism.

Jodie said...

Yikes!! I have Jing and have been screwing around with it. It is pretty cool. I feel so powerful. ;)

Sally said...

Jodie! You rock for getting Jing! You are such a great friend! Now, you can get everyone at Unitard to use it. MM will be so jealous that I work for a cool company. I'm sorry to hear about his kid, but I still think that he's the biggest a-hole I've ever met. I actually just found something from his DV days. I'll be posting it soon... Let's just say, it's worse than anything Michael's ever done on The Office. Can't hardly wait, can you?