Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bridges

I heard last night about the 35W bridge. I can't believe it. I just hope that nobody that I know was involved. (I'll feel better when I hear from you all.) I'm pretty sure that everybody that I know lives and works north of the bridge, but it's so scary.

(I had to take the picture out.)

I've been terrified since I was a child of being on a collapsing bridge. And this happens to a bridge I crossed tons of times. I haven't heard a word here in Michigan about the construction that was taking place on the bridge. I wonder if the work being done, plus the weight of the cement barriers, plus the weight of all the cars is what did it.

It's one of those things that is never supposed to happen. How many times have I sat on a bridge or in a parking garage and felt it move as other cars go by? I sometimes feel a little panicky, and then I think, "You're being dumb. Bridges don't just fall."

My heart goes out to all the people and families involved. My thoughts and prayers are with them all.

2 comments:

April said...

We are all okay. Thank god Josh changed jobs or else he would have been driving over it right in the midst. I was freaking out all last night, and still today. I hear you on the bridge thing, and this definitely is not going to help the situation.

Jodie said...

Scary business that's for sure. This one hit way too close to home. Makes me feel so unsettled and sad. :(