Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Shining

So, I'm not a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. That I ended up last night at a sneak peak of their IMAX Martin Scorsese directed movie, is odd.

I "won" them from the local TV station. I use the term "won" loosely. I think that they didn't have that many people trying to win, so they gave them to everyone who entered. Anyway, Craig and I both went to see it last night. Aunt Sarah babysat the kids at her apartment, which is a first. The kids loved visiting.

It was good, but not being a huge Stones fan, I didn't know some of the songs and couldn't have watched 2 hours of only concert footage. Lucky for me, "Marty" threw in some old clips of the band from the past 40 years.

Things that I liked in the film:

  • Scorsese freaking out because he couldn't get Mick to give him a final set list. The last second before the band came out, a producer runs in with it.
  • Keith singing. At least twice, he totally messed up the words.
  • Keith talks and acts just like Jack Sparrow. I knew that Johnny Depp modeled the character after him, but it's hard not to laugh watching Keith.
  • Keith wearing what I can only call a brooch on his coat. It was the Pirates of the Caribbean logo. (Also had a ring like it on.)
  • The camera shots and editing were amazing.
  • The video and sound were amazing. You really felt like you were there.
Things that I'm going to have nightmares about:
  • They are WAY too old for a 4 story closeup. Some of their wrinkles could swallow a small child.
  • Men with legs that skinny are freaky.
  • Mick and Keith's arms.
  • They are all WAY too touchy feely for old men.
  • Mick's sweaty, sweaty, sweaty armpits. (Come on, really, you haven't figured out yet that a red silky shirt doesn't hide sweat well?)
It was nice to get out, but now I wish I would have seen the U2 IMAX movie when it was out. If you're a Stones fan, I'd say go see it.

2 comments:

April said...

Long time no blog! :-)

Anyways, I thought about you the other day cuz a new Jamie Fraser book is out (I'm sure it has been forever since it's out in paperback now...I'm out of the loop). Have you read it? I'm scared to start it since it's almost 1000 pages and I'm sure I'll get sucked in. I think I need to read the last one first since I don't remember what happened.

Hope all is okay with you and happy belated mother's day!

Jodie said...

Mango! What are you up to? I'm sure you did something for Mother's Day. And I'm sure you're getting the farm plantings going. Please post with pics. I miss you!