Monday, April 9, 2007

5 Days to go & Easter recap

Have you seen the commercial for TurboTax where the girl freaks out when a guy asks her what time it is? I'm starting to feel that way. I used to have my taxes done by the second week in February. It's amazingly easy to make excuses of why not to finish them: "I'll wait until the kids are in bed. Well now that they're in bed, I'm sooooo tired. I'll do it Saturday. Oh, the kids didn't take a nap at the same time. Maybe tomorrow..."

I just hope that we don't owe money.

Chase
We had a good Easter. We colored Easter eggs on Saturday. Chase really got into it, and his hands are still red to prove it. I forgot my camera today, so I'll have some pictures up tomorrow. He cracked all of them while he was coloring them, but he had fun.

I hid the eggs yesterday morning and he actually got that he was supposed to find them. They were pretty obvious, but it was fun none-the-less. He did enjoy the baskets, dumping everything out of Cory's and placing all of the plastic grass on his head. He ran around just enough to spread the fun plastic green stuff in every room on the first floor of our house. Of course, this was about the same time that Cory discovered the wonders of Peeps. So she had sticky blue hands that easily collected the little plastic shreds. Well thought out, Mom.

We then went to my Grandma's house in Toledo. The kids were pretty good. Everyone can't get enough of Cory, and Chase was loving everybody and jellybeans. He probably ate about 200, according to my mom. He was finding them everywhere. We'd put them up, but he'd find some in another place. Oh well. He worked the sugar out running around with a booster seat strapped to his midsection. Pictures tomorrow!

He was a little hyper, but he played with the other kids, listened to me some of the time, watched out for the littler ones, and gave everybody big hugs and kisses. I would say that he just acted like a sugar-crazed two year old, which he was, with a few speech issues. Nothing that was too "autistic-y".

Now for my rant
The one thing that really got to me was one of my aunts. She has something about her that anything that Chase does, she feels that she has to point out that it's "weird". When he was running around with the booster, he thought he was funny. He was being goofy on purpose. But, she had to point out that it was "weird" to anyone that could hear. She did this before at my mom's house. When Chase wanted her to unzip her sweatshirt, because he thought it was a jacket and saw it as a sign that she was going to leave, she said, "Whoa! That's weird!"

Um, you think that's weird, but the fact that you're a chain-smoking drunk with a gambling problem is normal?

I'm not saying that I'm the nicest person in the world, but saying things like that around a child who can understand you and other children that can understand you makes me so mad. Her grandkids really like to play with Chase. They think he's fine, so why point out to them that he's different and being different makes him weird?

Of course I said none of this to her. It's easier to ignore her than talk to her. I'm madder now than I was yesterday. I hadn't thought about her grandkids taking this all in. I guess that I can only relate her stupidness to her feelings of inadequacy when comparing herself to my mom and her son to me. She's never liked us very much. I don't think that I'm going to be able to let it go next time. I don't want to start anything big with her, but I'm not going to allow her to keep up this negativity around Chase.

Anyway, that's my rant.

3 comments:

April said...

You better get on those taxes! Good luck. I did mine in January. Ha ha! :-)

Jodie said...

Hey Mango, I just saw that H.S., one of Erika's AGD sisters, is trying to get a job with your company. Crazy small little world huh?

April said...

Is that a recent picture on your profile?