Friday, March 2, 2007

Please Help Support Autism Reseach!

I know that I've been off for awhile. Before I do an update on Chase, please consider sending a letter to your Representative to encourage them to support fully funding the Combating Autism Act. Click here for more information. It only takes a minute or two, figures out who to send it to, and the letter is already prepared. All you have to do is enter your name and address, and then click Send.

Since I last wrote, we have had two really good weeks. Chase has been doing good with the diet, but we had some minor infractions. One was I guess not really minor, he had both dairy and wheat. The next day, his stools were pretty loose, but back to normal the next day. I didn't notice any behavioral issues, and believe me, I was watching! The only thing that I did notice was that he woke up in the night, but he's been doing that randomly the past month or so.

He's gained more eye contact and speech, and he's initiating contact a lot more. For example, he takes off his pants behind the couch, so that I can't see him. Then, he comes over to me and smiles at me. If I pretend not to notice, he starts fake sneezing. When I look at him and say, "Where are your pants?" he laughs and sometimes says, "Where'da go?" It's pretty cute.

I wonder if the B12 shots are helping. He's been more "with it" these last two weeks. I'm thinking that we'll keep him on the shots this next month, and possibly try adding some gluten back in. (I think the dairy is more of a problem.)

We have an appointment with the DAN! doctor soon, but of course, I can't remember when it is... I better call.

Chase was sick on Monday. He woke up with a nasty cough, and I had to take him to the urgent care clinic. By the time we saw the doctor, he wasn't coughing anymore, so I thought, "Great. Another doctor rolling his eyes at me." But, to my surprise, the doctor said Chase's lungs sounded bad. He had to have a shot, breathing treatment (which went surprisingly well), and medicine. Of course, he hasn't taken any of the amoxicillin, but he seems fine now. Never had a fever.

I did wonder one thing: The cake I made for Cory's birthday dinner was GFCF, but I used some whole milk in the frosting. I totally forgot and poured it in. I wonder if that really could have been enough to make him sick like that. Interesting...






Here's the pretty cake I made. I totally suck at lettering. It was REALLY good! It was a mix from The Really Great Food Company. They have the BEST mixes. Everyone liked it. You couldn't tell it was GFCF at all. Cory approves!



1 comment:

Ozzy said...

Those are some awfully cute kids! Where can I get some??? :)